Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Women and Spending


Money has been pretty tight to me lately. I just decided to take up writing seriously and the paychecks arrived late and sometimes, some clients from overseas terminate projects in the middle of our agreed time and there’s no way for me to have my say. That’s how it works in the industry I’m in. So lately, I’ve been trying to make ends meet through a tight purse.

It was difficult. God, it was difficult. I was used to having a good life, partying at night, and hanging out at posh coffee shops or shopping malls by day. Writing was paying really well so when I lost two of my biggest accounts because our projects are finished, I kind of tilted towards life. Then it dawned on me that it’s not really because money ran out fast. Money was still arriving, albeit in slower paces, but it was my attitude towards money which put me in the losing end.

Women, unlike men, are often not judged or measured by how much we earn. In fact, most of the things which were taught by our mothers were those which involved housekeeping, childrearing and taking care of our bodies. Men were often measured by their status in the society and, of course, how much they earn. Every gathering that involves highflying men always looked like an ego parade to me. Everyone was flashing their watches, taking out their cellular phones and name dropping like crazy. Men and money had a very close relationship and they’re not afraid to flaunt it.

Women, on the other hand, often feel embarrassed when discussing money. We are the ones who find it difficult to tell our friends to pay us the money they owe us. We are the ones who include emotion in our shopping, those who spend money to feel better, those who want to be pampered and are willing to spend for it. We think we deserve such pampering, and more middle-class purses are spending for upper class luxuries. I’ve seen many women who fall into this trap. Measly earning market vendors are getting weekly pedicures. Girls who go to public schools because their parents cannot afford to send them anywhere else spend for hair treatments to look good. A lot of women are guilty of shopping whenever they’re depressed.

I’ve read somewhere that the materialism today was caused by the emerging of two-income families during the 1960s. In this boom, women began receiving and spending money, but they weren’t taught properly on how to handle it. Women began to rise in the workforce, with the famous “second shift” (work during the day and when they get home they work again to housekeep) brushed under the rug. Simply put, women didn’t really confront money as much as men have, and this is one of the reasons why I seriously believe that a lot of women should read up more on financial security and management.

As for the rest of the world, that’s the idea. As for me, I’m painting my nails at home.

Got some money saving tips? I’m planning to compile the smartest contributions and publish them. Gimme a ding—live_out_loud@ymail.com

2 comments:

Xx said...

"As for the rest of the world, that’s the idea. As for me, I’m painting my nails at home."

hahah. very karla. hahaa

Your New PR Girl said...

hehehe thankshew. nail painting is a nice de-stresser :)