Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Art of Power Lunching



I am an extremely busy person. And no, I did not italicize just to sensationalize. I juggle many hats and I attend to different parts of my life. I work here, here, here, here, here, here and somewhere else. Sometimes I’m here and sometimes I’m not. Sometimes I’m a writer and sometimes I’m not. There is no definite badge for me. Because I’m leading jam-packed days, I’ve finally mastered the art of power lunching.

See, I have always believed that eating is one of the highest forms of glory. Teachers, warriors, leaders, artists, children and laborers all stop to eat. And you probably remember what our elementary school teachers told us: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; therefore you should not miss it.

Even when that statement still holds true for me, now ten years older and a few years wiser, I have also come to the conclusion that for a busybee like me, lunch is also an extremely important meal. Just think like this: if you want to stay upbeat and thinking right until around the time that you’re about to sleep, you must eat lunch, because it’s the breakfast of the second part of your jam-packed day.

And so here comes the Messianic solution: POWER LUNCHES.

Power lunches are lunches which are high in carb and sugar, and yes I recommend it because it works. You’re going to use them up later in the day anyway. Here are some tips for effective power lunching.

1. When you eat, REALLY eat. Do not surf the net, do not text incessantly, do not chat too much. Savor all the flavors that land on your tongue and just before you eat, smell the aroma of the food to keep your appetite running. They say that eating involves more than the sense of taste. So indulge in everything—sight, smell, taste and touch, if you must.

2. Don’t hurry. For people who are always on-the-go, it’s easy to take lunches which are hurried. In fact, I’ve fallen into this trap long ago and just ordered to-go Chinese food because they’re sticky and I don’t have to chew that much. LOL, imagine! If you hurry, you won’t be able to really feel that you have eaten and the ending is that you don’t really feel fulfilled and after a few minutes you’d have strange cravings.

3. Drink luxuriously. Finish off with a lovely drink. I always make sure that I finish off with softdrinks everyday but I keep the dosage at half a bottle (around 100-150 ml). Sometimes, I treat myself to ice cold mochaccino or a choco macciato. This seals the power lunch and the self-bonding and it also doubles as a dessert time so you end lunching feeling pretty great…and so you become productive for the rest of the day. (Yes, it really works, skeptic.)

So those are my two cents for free. One last tip though: try as much as you can to eat what you want. If you are tight on budget, maximize it. Remember, also, that your goal is to truly fill your stomach. So don’t do with fancy lunches such as very light pasta or salad if you know that you’ve got 1874927429 things to accomplish for the rest of the day.

Let me know what you think. And let’s go over it via lunch. Via a power lunch.

No comments: